UCSD VPN is a free virtual private network created by the University of California San Diego. Only authorized members, students, teachers, and faculty are able to access the network. UCSD VPN uses encryption methods to create a private network over a public network. It provides safety and ensures that only authorized people access the network. In this article, we will discuss in detail about this UCSD VPN, its features, installation method, and more.
Basic App information:
- Category: Virtual Private Network (VPN)
- Compatible on: Windows 10/8/7, newer versions of Mac (Mac OS X 10.10.x and above)
- Pricing: Free (only for university authorized personnel usage)
The good: It is free by the University of California San Diego for authorized people. Easy, secure, open connection to faculty members, teachers and students. You can create a department-wise pool for separate resources. Can be accessed on an iPad/Tablet. Very secure due to encryption, protects passwords and sensitive data. No need to download anything to be viewed and can be accessed by portals. You can use on-campus resources outside campus.
Also Check: Linus Tech Tips Recommended Best VPN
The bad: Does not work on older versions of Mac. Only for university needs and works, so, cannot be used for anything else. Cannot access anything without direct internet connection.
Features of the App:
UCSD VPN has some great features that provide a lot of efficiency and protection. Here we have listed some of its key features:
- VPN Pools: Pools are a way to separate data for separate departments. This ensures better organization and security too. They can be accessed by the username and ‘@’ pool name. You can contact a department’s IT staff or the ITS service desk for further information on them.
- Encryption: It provides extensive data encryption and encrypted communication. You can use this to securely connect with teachers, fellow students. Passwords and ID are used so that anyone who is not authorized may not use anything. All this is done maintaining standard speed.
- No Installation needed: You do not need any installation for UCSD VPN. You also do not need to use a web proxy in order to access any campus-only materials. It is web based and you can connect to any campus materials, e-libraries, services.
- Remote access: You can use UCSD VPN on your remote machine as if it has a UCSD IP address. So, you have access to all of the campus database, resources and schedule while off-campus.
How to install UCSD VPN
There are two services, any of which can be used to connect to UCSD VPN. They are as follows:
In this case you have to download the AnyConnect client on your device and then connect through the client. The process of doing this on Windows and Mac is as follow:
Configuring UCSD VPN for Windows:
- Step-1: At first download and Install AnyConnect VPN client from its website.
- Step-2: Run setup and begin installation, agree to license to finish installation. After finishing, run it.
- Step-3: Now select the Cisco folder, select Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for launching.
- Step-4: Complete authentication by DUO 2-step Authentication process.
- Step-5: And it is done, a similar process can be used to configure on windows 8 or 7.
Configuring UCSD VPN for Mac OS:
- Step-1: The steps to be followed before installing on Mac. The rest of the process is quite similar.
- Step-2: Mac OS 10.10.x has the old client pre-installed. So, at first make sure to uninstall that.
- Step-3: The rest of the process is similar to that explained in the Windows configuration section.
Note: Similarly, you can use the client for GNU/Linux, Chromebook as well.
EasyConnect is a web-based interface so in this case you do not have to download anything. Just follow these steps:
- Step-1: Visit https://vpn.ucsd.edu
- Step-2: You will be asked to give your active directory user name and password. Give them. If you need to reset your AD (Active Directory) contact your system administration of your department or visit the website.
- Step-3: Sign-on pressing EasyConnect from the given options and you are done.
How to use it:
- As discussed before, it is downloadable on Windows/Mac OS X 10.10 and above/GNU/Linux/Chromebook.
- When using VPN EasyConnect, visit the website link> select 2-Step Secured from the ‘GROUP’ dropdown> Enter AD username and password> Complete authentication by DUO and log in> Now you can access any material
- Process to access using AnyConnect has been previously discussed. Make sure to log in to the computer with administrator rights. Reset the username and password if needed. After that you have access to all the needed materials.
Alternatives of UCSD VPN
Some alternatives to UCSD VPN are as follows. As we know, UCSD VPN is only restricted to faculty and students of UCSD, if you do not have access to it and want something similar, try any of these options-
1. Snap VPN for PC
Snap VPN is very much popular among its users. It provides unlimited usage; it is easy to use and secure. It also provides great customer support. It is usable on PC and Android as well. Since it is not an app made for PC, you have to use an emulator for it. Any popular Android emulator, such as Bluestacks or Nox player can be used.
2. VPN 360
This VPN is only usable on mobile phones. It is free. You can use it on Android and iOS both. If needed to use on PC you have to use an emulator. It offers in-app purchases for additional features too and provides good speed.
3. VPN Proxy Master
VPN Proxy Master comes in both free and paid versions. It has no speed limit and offers unlimited server switches. It has a very fast speed. One big downfall is that sometimes it fails to access some of the popular streaming sites such as Netflix.
Globally Express VPN is known as one of the best VPN service providers. It has state-of-the-art security. It is usable across all platforms too. It is of course paid, so if you are willing to spend a reasonable amount of money, consider using ExpressVPN. It has 3 subscription options starting at $12.95 a month.
5. Star VPN
Star VPN is another reliable and free VPN to use. It has good encryption and keeps no logs either. It is also mainly for Android use. You will need Android emulators to use it on a PC.
Frequently Asked Questions About UCSD VPN
Q. Is UCSD VPN free?
Yes, it is free for all the students, faculty members and teachers of University of California San Diego.
Q. Is UCSD VPN usable outside campus?
Yes, any authorized personnel can use it anywhere. You just need an active internet connection for that.
Q. On what platform is UCSD VPN usable?
It is usable on Android, Windows, and Mac devices. But older versions of Mac are not compatible with it, however. So, mac OS X 10.10.x and above are usable.
Q. Is UCSD VPN safe to use?
Yes, it is. It provides good security for your conversations, personal data, and passwords.
After our discussion, we can say that UCSD VPN is actually a very useful tool for University of California San Diego students and faculty. It gives them seamless access to university materials when they are not on campus. Personal information such as passwords and keys are also well protected. It is free for all authorized people too. So, it is a good way for university students and faculty to access all resources when they need and maintain communication within themselves.